Ten Inspiring Books That Empowered me through 26 years in Prison
Climbing through 26 years in prison required fuel. I found that fuel by reading. Todays Earning Freedom podcast offers insight into 10 books that empowered me through the journey. They include:
- The Bible
- The Republic, Plato
- The Autobiography of Malcolm X, Alex Haley
- Man’s Search for Meaning, by Viktor Frankl
- Long Walk to Freedom, Nelson Mandela
- An Autobiography, Ghandi
- A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
- The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, Stephen Covey
- Good to Great, Jim Collins
- What Got You Here Won’t Get You There, Marshall Goldsmith
If you’re facing challenging times, you may find some value through reading. In my book Earning Freedom: Conquering a 45-year Prison Term, I offer insight into the specific strategies that empowered me as the days turned into weeks, the weeks turned into months, the months turned into years, and the years turned into decades. I read with a purpose. I read hundreds of books, and a strategy I teach made sure that each book related to the man I aspired to become. That strategy included a book report that followed a format:
- Why I read this book:
- What I learned from reading this book:
- How this book will contribute to my success upon release.
I encourage others who face challenge in their life to pursue this same disciplined, deliberate approach. It led me through 26 years in prison. By adhering to this same approach, I’ve succeeded in achieving goals since I returned to society that few would’ve thought possible for someone with my background.
If you would like to learn more about how these strategies can bring more fulfillment and meaning into your life, then I encourage you to review our Mastermind Course. Or simply listen to the daily podcasts we offer of inspiring people who encountered struggle at one time or another, but conquered their challenges to overcome. You can do the same.
Sign up for our mastermind course to learn how you can use these techniques to enrich your life, your career, and your relationships.
Click Here to Subscribe