Lexi’s Questions about the Bureau of Prisons
Lexi has a husband who now serves time in federal prison. She had some questions regarding some of the complexities of confinement. Her questions centered on issues such as disciplinary infractions in the federal Bureau of Prisons, the Residential Drug Abuse Program (RDAP), Custody and Classification in the Bureau of Prisons, and Federal Prison Transfers. Since Lexi served time in probation, her lawyer suggested that she not speak with me directly. I received her questions through an email and today’s episode provides my response. The questions Lexi asked follow:
- The BOP has rules that prohibit people from operating a business. Lexi asked me to elaborate on how guards enforce this rule.
- What risks and rewards are associated with doing business in prison?
- How was I able to build and operate my business while incarcerated without violating rules?
- What access do inmates have to staff when there are staff shortages?
- My husband is candidate for RDAP. Recommended. How can he contest the counselor who says he isn’t eligible?
- How much of a time cut can he receive from RDAP? He has a 52-month sentence?
- What do they do in RDAP
- Is it possible to complete faster than average of nine months?
- My husband is in a medium. He is camp eligible. How can he fix this problem?
- Is there a benefit to serving time in a higher security prison if he doesn’t feel any threat?
- How can my husband change his release address because he is 2,000 miles away from home, near a previous address?
- When is there a halfway house eligibility?
- What is it based on?
- Are there steps to have my husband released to home confinement instead of halfway house?
- What are the most common surprises that I have not yet encountered?
- What advice do you have regarding obtaining employment with my felony conviction?